Pages

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

To Review Some Steaks

In this final unit of our third humanities course Food For Thought we discovered and some of he creation an destruction of what it takes to get food to us. So we created a food review to explore some home-cooked food and restaurant made food. I decided to compare steak, review steak, eat steak, and determine steak. I hope you enjoy.

Steak is a common food that is sometimes considered a high delicacy food and can other times be considered a pretty commonly eaten food for the general community. Steak is usually served as a whole slab that includes fat and can be also be ordered to the buyers preference whether its medium rare, super rare, well done, or charred. Though I don't eat steak much at all I prefer eating it a over well-done.

Home-cooked steak:

"Home-cooked steak" IF 2017

I first decided to cook and analyze the home-cooked meal of this review. I got these ingredients from a food service that sells the ingredients and provides instructions on how to cook them. I absolutely loved both the experience of cooking the food and of-course eating the food. The stake was only gently peppered and salted to the perfect amount which brought out the most and best flavors or the large steak. When I first platted the steak it was still searing, which was a already a good sign. The aroma of the steak was amazing, you could smell the dripping fried crispy outside of the steak and the peppercorn sauce that I had made to compliment the thick and firm inside. When I cut into the steak it was still very hot but it was bursting with a pungent smell of seared meat. first tasting was the best experience; I put the steak in my mouth and it felt pretty tough but juicy. The sliver of steak that I ate was well complimented by the sauce that made it taste sweet but still a bitter juicy steak. The feeling that the steak had in my mouth was also pretty fantastic because it felt chewy and smooth. The meat was well done with a crispy outside and a smooth melting away inside.

Restaurant cooked steak:

The restaurant cooked steak was also pretty amazing in many ways. I got this steak from Mariano's, which sells cooked meals that are typically pretty great. This steak was served in a piece about the same size as the home-cooked meal which was the perfect size for everyone. This steak was also sauteed the same way as the home-cooked, I had asked for well done and it was a little less done than the home-cooked meal also which I was actually quite excited for. The steak smelled crispy and an almost sweet smell to it. The smell of the sweetness was making me really hungry because it had blended so well with the fresh aroma of the potatoes that had been served along with the steak. When I first cut into the steak, my serrated knife cut through the steak with little effort. First tasting it stake was quite nice when I first tasted the juice and charred meat. I found this steak to be less juicy and filling than the home-cooked steak. The steak felt smooth and coarse as it falls apart in my mouth. Overall I was a pretty great steak that was complimented well with the potatoes it had been served with. It was an absolute adventure from the sweet smell to the dry almost tangy aftertaste; I had never had steak quite like this one.

Concluding:

After tasting both the home-cooked and restaurant steaks I picked a favorite between the both of them. My favorite steak was the home-cooked steak because it presented a lot more interesting flavors and was cooked to my perfect preference; home-cooking steak is definitely recommended. One of the most defining differences between the two steaks was the difference in texture and taste. I really enjoyed the taste of both steaks, with the home-cooked steak tasting more charred and bitter and the restaurant steak tasting more sweet.

When I analyzed the home-cooked steak from the ingredient service they included steak, potatoes, and green beans that are all organic. So the ingredients are coming from certified farmers to give us healthy not-modified ingredients. I also wanted to see if I could use the home-cooked meal in one of Michael Pollan’s five food transformations so we could recognize the quality of the food. I found that the home-cooked steak connected really well to the quality of over quantity transformation because you can get your specific quality while cooking your steaks. If you prefer well done over charred and you cook it that way that would be your high quality food. You don’t need a lot of this one steak to be satisfied, you just need your preferred high quality steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment